Saturday, February 5, 2011

16. Voltaic Spark Solar Tablet

6 comments:

  1. What a cool idea, I just looked at the wireless page, and I think something like this could take that to the next step. The ability to have power outlets basically on a case is very intriguing. I mean even if you only use it when the sun is out it could still be pretty cool.

    This is one of those really cool and fun ideas. Maybe not currently in the stage of a need or the next big thing, but something that would be really cool.

    All of our alternate energy source ideas are really exciting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another awesome technology that runs on solar energy. As you mentioned, it may not be a perfect fit for Oregon's climate, but imagine this in Arizona or any sunny destination. Some concerns I would have would be the price and look (as you mentioned)as well as the weight of solar panels and also how hot the bag might get. I think of hot summer days with a black bag that has solar panels and a battery in it. I'm guessing there are some specifics to work out with this technology. I think the portable power benefits of this technology make it worth someone investing some major money to develop it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several years ago, I saw a rather cool looking backpack that had solar panels on it for charging up a laptop and a cell phone. So I'm wondering why are they not selling like hotcakes? For myself, I would have bought one a couple of years ago, but the battery life on an iPad plus the small footprint makes charging up on the go with something bigger less a favorable accessory to invest in.

    I do believe this could be the precursor to a regular lightweight school backpack that has a paper-thin solar panel on the outside pocket that only requires a USB to hook up most digital devices. I'd pay a few $$ for that if I already needed to carry around a backpack for my "stuff" anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - a lightweight version with the practical function of a backpack would be worth considering. The price of the sun is certainly affordable - it's availability is sadly questionable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this would have to be one of those steps on the road to creating a product that the masses would want. As you said, the sunlight in Oregon is unpredictable. It is also unpredictable in a large number of places just in the U.S. What about Canada and Russia? Once the questions you have brought to light have been answered and accounted for in the product, then I can see it becoming a much more coveted item.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this technology to us. I didn't know that there is a solar power tecnology for tablet PC. I like this device. In my country Indonesia, I think there will be many people need this kind of device. I think in the future, in the tropical countries, there will be many people use divices that use solar power.

    ReplyDelete